The service of app and ibeacon device won the Hong Kong ICT Awards 2022: Smart People (Smart Inclusion) Gold Award which organised by The Hong Kong Council of Social Service.
Ms Florence Ho, General Manager of Jockey Club Centre for Positive Ageing, Prof Gray Chan, Professor of Department of Computer Science and Engineering,
The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology and Ms Grace Fong, Senior Service Manager (Continuing Care) of St. James' Settlement as the representative to accept the award.
The Jockey Club Caring Communities for Dementia Campaign is an important project for the community, with the support of technology, to help locate people with dementia who have gotten lost. Due to cognitive decline, people with dementia have a higher incidence rate of getting lost. Through the “Dementia’s Secret Angel” APP and the iBeacon device, family members and caregivers of those with dementia who are lost can share vital information. The public can play the role of “Dementia Angels” and help locate people once receiving a lost-person report. The goal is to rally the community to become dementia-friendly and help return those who have lost their way to their families.
- No need to recharge everyday: the device uses low power consumed Bluetooth technology which is suitable for people with dementia to bring along with
- Friendly design: iBeacon has 3 types for selection, light in weight and practical for use
- Preview of battery power: Can monitor the battery power from the mobile app so as to manage the power supply as soon as it reaches to the low level
- Easy to feedback on the traces of people who got lost: the Bluetooth technology will automatically transmit the information to caregivers which facilitates the tracing
- Age over 50; AND
- Diagnosed with dementia OR assessed by social worker and confirmed with cognitive decline; AND
- Living at home (not living in any residential care homes); AND
- Able to go out with or without supplementary aids; AND
- Caregiver must have basic knowledge of using smartphone and mobile app
iBeacon Distribution Arrangement
|Distribution Arrangement||Enquiries & Registration|
|Deliver by post|| Jockey Club Centre for Positive Ageing|
– Please make registration. Each month will have 15 quotas to distribute on first-come-first-serve basis
– Caregiver must present a certification to validate that his/her family member was diagnosed with dementia, for example, diagnosis letter, medicine bag
(*Assessment must be made within 1 year prior to the application by social worker / healthcare professional and evaluated as stage 4 or above OR the cognitive ability was classified as ≤ 2nd by social worker through HK-MoCA evaluation)