Answer: First, observe if there is any behavioural change recently and continuously. If short-term memory is also declining, then arrange for a medical check and assessment immediately; or call 2636 6323 to contact JCCPA social workers to evaluate and discuss care options.
For People with Dementia For Family Members
  • Financial assistance 
Apply for a disability allowance, a subsidy under the Comprehensive Social Security Assistance (CSSA) Scheme, or a special grant for private elderly home services through the Social Security Field Units.
  • Caregivers’ training
JCCPA and other service organisations organise seminars and courses to help caregivers understand dementia progress and provide care tips, such as enhancing communication and dealing with behavioural changes. 
  • Daycare Centres
Daycare services for mild and moderate dementia.
  • Caregivers Support Group
JCCPA offers support for caregivers in various centres. Please call to enquire about a centre near you.
  • Medical Service
Specialised outpatient or inpatient services of geriatrics or geriatric psychiatry clinics and hospitals provide assessment, nursing and rehabilitation services for people with dementia at different stages.
  • Respite Service
General residential care services often have one or two beds set aside for respite services. Caregivers, who cannot take care of a patient for a short time (1-2 weeks), can apply for these services. Other self-funding NGOs such as JCCPA also offer respite services.
  • Domestic Help Service
Domestic helpers will visit people with dementia and their caregivers at home to help with cleaning, delivering meals or accompanying visits to a doctor.
  • Hotline Service
JCCPA and certain dementia service units offer hotline services for caregivers to enquire about care methods, emotional support and community resources.
  • Home Training and Support Service
JCCPA and certain dementia service units offer a home training service with occupational therapists providing cognitive training and home modification recommendations for enhancing care.
  • Caregivers Forum
JCCPA and certain dementia service units have online caregivers forums to update and answer caregivers’ enquiries regularly.
  • Residential Care Service
Government-subsidised elderly homes, nursing homes, care homes and infirmaries under the Hospital Authority offer 24-hour residential and nursing care, but the waiting list might be long.
  • Counselling Service
JCCPA and certain dementia service units offer counselling services to provide emotional support to caregivers. 
  • Private Care Homes
Private care homes are available in every district, but caregivers should check the quality of operation before applying.
  1. You can apply at the nearest Neighbourhood Elderly Centre / District Elderly Community Centre
  2. If the elderly with dementia is still in hospital, contact the Medical Social Service Unit of the hospital to help with the application
  3. If you wish to find private care homes, apply at a district Integrated Family Services Centre

Note: In general, applicants must be aged 65 or above. Applicants aged 60-64 are considered on a case by case basis. Applications from people aged below 60 are not accepted for long-term elderly care. The Social Welfare Department will evaluate the applications. Those confirmed as eligible will be put on the waiting list for government services. 

  1. Get assistance from social workers at a District Elderly Community Centre
  2. Consider applying for JCCPA services
  3. Call private elderly homes in the neighbourhood

Note: Respite service is available for no more than 42 days within a year.  Social workers should make referrals for admission to residential respite service. A physical check-up report (MEF-A) will be arranged before admission; allow 3-6 months in advance for preparation. If respite services for over 42 days are required, look for private care homes.

  1. Government services: apply at a District Elderly Community Centre 
  2. Self-funding services: Caregivers can call nearby care homes/ daycare centres directly 
  3. JCCPA services:  The elderly must be diagnosed to have dementia by a doctor, and the caregivers can apply for our services directly

Note: In general, applicants must be aged 65 or above. Applicants aged 60-64 are considered on a case by case basis. Applications from people aged below 60 are not accepted for government daycare centres. Self-funding daycare centres will evaluate all cases individually, but most are open only to people aged 60 or above.


Different daycare centres set up activity schedules based on needs. There are usually morning exercises, games training and individual treatment. The activities are designed to use socialisation to enhance the abilities of people with dementia. However, most daycare centres provide integrated care services but cannot tailor activities to individuals (such as people with dementia). People with special needs or conditions can enquire the daycare centres for special care.

  1. Call a District Elderly Community Centre to get information
  2. If the elderly with dementia is still in hospital, contact the Medical Social Service Unit of the hospital to help with the application
  3. Call around private care homes in the district and apply. The facility will advise an admission date. Before admission, a physical check-up report (MEF-A) is required

The quality of a care facility can be assessed based on the space, facilities, staffing ratio, food and care. It’s best to visit the facility and observe the environment and hygiene, as it is vital to the health of the elderly. All elderly care facilities must be licensed. Check the Social Welfare Department website for a complete list of all licensed residential care homes.

  1. If a person with dementia goes to a hospital for outpatient services, ask the doctor directly for a referral letter and submit the application via the medical social worker
  2. If you already have a letter from a doctor of the Hospital Authority, you can apply from a District Social Welfare Office
  1. Government service: You can apply at a District Elderly Community Centre
  2. Non-government service: Call an integrated home care service provider directly to apply

Getting lost is a serious problem for people with dementia. Caregivers must evaluate if it’s still suitable for the person with dementia to live in the community. Further cognitive assessment is recommended to prevent the person from getting lost again, or try the following methods:

  1. Install a hidden or complicated lock at a higher or hidden location, and add a shutter
  2. Add an alarm sensor, such as a burglar alarm, at the door of your home
  3. Sew on contact details, including name and telephone numbers, on his/her clothes, and give him/her a bracelet or nameplate to carry around
  4. Tell the security officers of your building or some friendly neighbours that the person is prone to get lost, and ask them to help him/her get home
  5. Take some headshots or full body shots of him/her, and keep the clothes simple, so you can recall what he/she is wearing to make it easier to find him/her

In such cases, find out if he/she is upset by their condition and assess if there’s an immediate risk (such as losing control, harming himself/herself or others). He/she might also be affected by their environment or feeling unwell. If the condition persists, it has to be followed up by a psychiatrist. Government out-patient services can be arranged, or visit a private doctor. Call an ambulance if it’s an emergency.

  1. Please do not argue with him/her because it will only agitate him/her
  2. Help him/her look for the lost things calmly
  3. Ask him/her to describe how did he/she know his/her thing was stolen
  4. Try to understand the reason why he/she wants to find that thing
  5. Change the topic and distract him/her
  6. Teach him/her to put things in the same place, and remind him/her where he/she has put items
  7. Lost items can be reduced through repeated training. If the condition persists and he/she is very agitated, seek help from a psychiatrist
  8. If he/she lives with another person (such as a domestic helper), observe the helper’s behaviour, as he/she might be telling you what he/she has actually seen